With the announcement of a forthcoming Spotify app for Google Android, here’s some reasons why I prefer Android devices over the iPhone. Obviously as an Android user I’m completely biased here and I freely admit the iPhone is certainly a slick gadget. However, I think Google Android is better than an iPhone because:
- You’ll be able to run Spotify!
- You can multitask.
- You can scan regular barcodes.
- You can add standard micro-SD cards to expand the storage.
- You’re not locked-in to one hardware device from one supplier.
- You’re not locked-in to one mobile carrier.
- It’s better value for money (over an 18-month contract it’s about £300 more for an iPhone)
- Apps are not over-censored and are available promptly. This means that Android developers can get updates and fixes out on a daily basis as they don’t need to go through a vetting approval process each time.
- It has a compass for e.g. Google Streetview.
- It integrates completely with Google services: gmail, google newsreader etc.
- You can easily change the battery when it dies.
Some of these reasons are down to the hardware, but they are still features not available on iPhone so I think it’s still a fair comparison.