If you’re in Edinburgh and into science-fiction, fantasy, graphic novels or speculative fiction you might be interested in the Edinburgh SF Book Group. We take it in turns to pick a book for the group to read each month then meet up in Henderson’s to chat about it.
So far this year we have discussed:
- “Stamping Butterflies” by Jon Courtenay Grimwood
- “The Holy Machine” by Chris Beckett
- “Y The Last Man: Unmanned” by Brian K. Vaughan
- “Unlimited Dream Company” by JG Ballard
- “Galapagos” by Kurt Vonnegut
- “The Physiognomy” by Jeffrey Ford
- “Survivors” by Terry Nation
- “Harm” by Brian Aldiss
We’ve also sometimes managed to receive some thoughts on the books from the authors themselves.
The book for September is “The Night Sessions” by Ken Macleod. This mixes near-future SF with the classic Edinburgh detective novel, the world after all the conflicts that came post 9-11 and the role of religion in all of that, so should provide some decent subject material for discussion and as a bonus much of it is set here in the city which is kind of fun (and it’s a fairly easy read, not too long).
All newcomers are welcome, so come along! We’ll be in Henderson’s on Hanover Street at 6pm Tuesday 29th September.